Thursday, September 10, 2015

Post Labor Day Eats

Labor Day weekend is now over and school is starting for many kids and adults out there, including me. While I'm exited to start college again, I'm not excited with the prospect of trying to balance working full-time, social time, homework, and the all-important "Me" time. I'm sure I'll make it work out... I hope...

One way I can manage my new schedule, is to make my meals for the week ahead of time. I'll usually make a whole bunch of egg muffins for breakfast and batch cook other meals for lunch/dinner. I've gotten to a point where I can finish pretty much everything in a 2-3 hour time period. At some point, I'll do a whole post on my batch cooking process and show you how I get it all done.

Today's recipe is part of that frantic, I need to get all my stuff together cook-up. Eggplant was finally in season for dirt cheap at the market, so I decided to take advantage of it and create something super tasty from it.

Bacon & Eggplant Hash

Ingredients:
  • 2 large purple eggplants
  • 1/2-1 cup cabbage, chopped or shredded
  • 3 slices bacon
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp hot sausage seasoning
  • salt/pepper, to taste
Method:
  • Put you bacon strips in a good sized pan over medium-high heat. Fry these up, flipping a few times, until they are browned and crisp.
  • In the meantime, chop your eggplant into cubes. 

  • Remove the bacon strips to a paper towel -lined plate once they're done.
  • Add your eggplant to the pan and saute for several minutes. You want the eggplant to be somewhat softened and a little browned.
  • Add the chopped cabbage to the pan and saute for a couple minutes.
  • Add your seasonings and cook until the cabbage is wilted and the eggplant is soft but still has a tiny-bit of bite.
  • Crumble up your bacon into the eggplant mix and stir to combine.
  • Taste and adjust your seasonings as need be.
  • Enjoy!


This little hash turned out great! It has a nice savory, almost meaty taste to it and would be great served with either some eggs or some pork. I plated mine up for brunch topped with a little leftover pulled pork, two fried eggs and a little hot sauce. MMMMM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment