One way I can manage my new schedule, is to make my meals for the week ahead of time. I'll usually make a whole bunch of egg muffins for breakfast and batch cook other meals for lunch/dinner. I've gotten to a point where I can finish pretty much everything in a 2-3 hour time period. At some point, I'll do a whole post on my batch cooking process and show you how I get it all done.
Today's recipe is part of that frantic, I need to get all my stuff together cook-up. Eggplant was finally in season for dirt cheap at the market, so I decided to take advantage of it and create something super tasty from it.
Bacon & Eggplant Hash
- 2 large purple eggplants
- 1/2-1 cup cabbage, chopped or shredded
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp hot sausage seasoning
- salt/pepper, to taste
- Put you bacon strips in a good sized pan over medium-high heat. Fry these up, flipping a few times, until they are browned and crisp.
- In the meantime, chop your eggplant into cubes.
- Remove the bacon strips to a paper towel -lined plate once they're done.
- Add your eggplant to the pan and saute for several minutes. You want the eggplant to be somewhat softened and a little browned.
- Add the chopped cabbage to the pan and saute for a couple minutes.
- Add your seasonings and cook until the cabbage is wilted and the eggplant is soft but still has a tiny-bit of bite.
- Crumble up your bacon into the eggplant mix and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust your seasonings as need be.
This little hash turned out great! It has a nice savory, almost meaty taste to it and would be great served with either some eggs or some pork. I plated mine up for brunch topped with a little leftover pulled pork, two fried eggs and a little hot sauce. MMMMM!!!