Monday, April 1, 2013

Sarah had a Little Lamb

Today turned out to be a little different than what I'd planned. I was all set to go to work, go to CrossFit, come home and eat some dinner. I ended up leaving work early due to some tummy troubles, resting and doing a little yoga to try and re-center myself. I chalk it up to the stress of marathon training, doing CrossFit, writing the blog and just generally trying to fit too many things into a 24 hour period. I rarely give myself a true rest day and now my body's trying to tell me that enough is enough!

Needless to say, my stomach is doing better and has graciously allowed me to continue making some oh so tasty dinner. I was a little inspired by Sunday being easter and all, so I decided to try my hand at some lovely lamb goodness. I will admit that I think it's imperative to use a high quality, grass fed lamb source. There was a vendor at the public market this past weekend with some excellent roasts, chops and loins. I can't remember the name off-hand, but I'll be sure to give them a shout-out in the comments!

Anyhoo, I give you:

Crock Pot Lamb and Broccoli


Ingredients:
  • 2-3 lb boneless lamb roast
  • 4 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp safflower
  • ~2 tsp "fine herbs" blend
  • 1 1/2-2 tsp salt (use your preference)
  • 1-2 tsp pepper (again, use your preference or none at all for strict autoimmune)
  • 1 cup bone broth
  • 1 bag frozen broccoli, thawed
Method:
  • Mix together the safflower, fine herbs, salt and pepper, in a small bowl.
  • Rub the seasoning mix all over the lamb roast.
  • Place the roast in the crock pot and pour in the broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours (I cooked mine for 8 total).
  • About a half an hour before the roast is done. Take it out of the crock pot and cut it into small pieces. Add it back to the crock pot and add the thawed broccoli. Cook for the remaining half and hour on low (or basically until the broccoli is no longer crisp and everything is warm).
  • Enjoy with your favorite side dish! I served mine with roasted carrots.
Boy am I ever so happy that my tummy started to feel better! This meal turned out to be delicious! The lamb is melt in your mouth tender and very flavorful (and it wasn't at all gamey). There's just the right amount of herbs and a nice complexity with the safflower. Feel free sub out any other veggies for the broccoli in the recipe. You will not be disappointed one bit!

1 comment:

  1. Lamb in the crockpot - great! Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if it is ok with you if I link to it on my blog, Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete