Sunday, August 18, 2013

Green Eggs and Ham!

I know it's been a while since I've blogged. Sorry folks! I've been trying to get back into the swing of things  with work and adding in my physical therapy. I'm happy to announce that I've made great strides in regards to my recovery. I'm officially out of my torture device of a brace and am almost completely walking sans crutches. There are times when my progress seems really slow, but then I remember to tell myself that it's still progress.

On another note, I've just finished up a round of the Whole 30 challenge. It basically means that you go 30 days grain, dairy, legume, and sugar free, for 30 days. Some fresh fruit and even a little dried fruit is allowed. I know it seems like an extremely difficult thing to do, but I swear that it's easier than you think! I feel so much better when I'm not relying on sugar or processed foods to get through my day. If anyone is struggling with weight issues or wants to jump start their health, give the Whole 30 Challenge a try!

This week, I'm taking a little trip down memory lane and paying homage to Dr. Seuss. I've made a grown-up version of 'Green Eggs & Ham.'

Green Eggs & Ham


Ingredients:
  • lard (you could also use coconut oil, butter, or ghee)
  • a dozen eggs
  • 1 16 oz bag frozen spinach, thawed
  • 4 oz diced prosciutto
  • 6 sprigs fresh thyme 
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp ground savory
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • a couple dashes red chili flakes, optional
Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13x9" glass baking dish with lard (or other suggested cooking fat).
  • Crack all of the eggs into a large bowl and whisk until pale yellow. (You could use a regular whisk to do this or you can take the lazy version, like me, and use a fork...) Strip the thyme sprigs of their leaves and throw them into the eggs. Add in the spinach, prosciutto, and seasonings.
  • Pour the egg mixture into the prepared dish and bake 40-45 minutes, or until the top and edges are golden brown and the center is set.
  • Enjoy!
First off, I'd like to say that the basis of this recipe comes from the 'Crustless Swirly Quiche' in Diane Sanfilipo's Practical Paleo. I encourage everyone to buy this book! It's a treasure trove of information on transitioning to/maintaining a Paleo style diet and has many fabulous recipes. 

For my variation, the salty prosciutto and the spinach blend together wonderfully to turn this into a masterpiece! The thyme and savory add a nice herbiness. Feel free to change up the seasonings as you see fit. I'm sure that this would be excellent with some cumin, ground chipotle, and chili powder... or maybe some smoked paprika and sage... or even add some shredded cheese, if you can handle dairy. Another suggestion is to do what I do and cut this up into small portions. You can then use the individual pieces as your on-the-go breakfasts. You don't necessarily have to reheat them to eat. I've eaten this cold and think it's still fantastic!


No comments:

Post a Comment