Sunday, September 8, 2013

End of Summer Grilling

I am pleased to say that I'm doing very well with my post-surgery recovery. I was able to ride a stationary bike last week and have managed to go on increasingly longer walks around the neighborhood. It feels really good to be up and moving about without feeling as though I'm dragging some dead weight around. I will admit that my leg starts to bother me if I'm on my feet for too long, but with a little bit of stretching it fades away.

As a result of my being able to walk around more, I can traverse my public market much more easily. I do so enjoy my weekly visit to pick up my meat order. Mmm... meat... Anyhoo, I was introduced to a wonderful cut of meat a while ago that I've finally decided to share with the rest you: the pork steak. It's as though a pork chop and a beef steak got together and had a love child. Let me just say, it's fantastic!

Grilled Seasoned Pork Steak



Ingredients:
  • 2 pork steaks
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • seasonings (I used some Berbere spice blend)
  • olive oil
Method:
  • Take the pork steaks out about a half an hour before you plan on grilling them. This will bring them to room temperature and allow for a more even cook time.
  • Preheat your grill to high heat.
  • I pour a little bit of olive oil over both side of the steaks.
  • Season the steaks on both sides with salt, pepper, and chosen spices/seasonings.
  • Once the grill is hot, throw on your steaks. Allow them to cook for 5 minutes on the first side. Flip them over and grill for another 4-6 minutes, depending on what doneness you like (Justin and I prefer medium rare).
  • Remove the steaks and allow them to rest for 5-10 minutes.
  • Serve with your fave side.
I insist that you try pork steaks! They're slightly fattier than a chop and are incredibly tender. Feel free to use whatever spices you have on hand. I've gone really basic and just done salt/pepper to doing rosemary and a drizzle of balsamic. Pork really lends itself well to a myriad of seasoning blends. Add an awesome side to the mix (I made the delicious "Fauxtato Salad" from Beyond Bacon), and you've got yourself a great meal!

If anyone has any issues with cooking pork to medium rare, let me refer you to a recent New York Times article stating that the USDA has decreased the safe cooking temperature of pork from 160 degrees to 145 degrees. The chances of you getting some food born illness are pretty slim, especially if you can get your hands on some quality pastured pig products. Let me also add that Justin and I have yet to get sick from pink pork steaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment