Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fast Mexican Awesomeness!

Today marked the start of my new hours of work, complicated by getting up early for a run, an appointment with my chiropractor, heavy rain that made all driver's on the road act stupidly, a quick (and very soaked) trip into the library to pick up The Paleo Solution (by Robb Wolf), and a Wegman's shopping trip. All of this, before 6 pm... I was stressed. I was hungry.... and I had yet to cook...

Grumbling, I  began to throw together the evening meal in hopes to assuage my famished state and my not so fun stress levels. I apparently do really well under these conditions, 'cuz I ended up creating something that can only be described as AWESOME! 


Quick Mexican Chicken & Shrimp 
(I apologize for the lack of photo. Justin and I were way too hungry to pause for this step!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground organic chicken
  • 1 lb frozen peeled/cleaned shrimp, thawed
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 8 oz pkg sliced mushrooms
  • 1 15.5 oz jar organic hot salsa (you could use mild, if you'd like)
  • ~ 1 1/2 tsp mexican seasoning (the blend I use is from Niblack Foods http://niblackfoods.com/wp-content/w3tc/pgcache/_index.html.gzip)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
  • salt/pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Fresh squeezed lime juice
  • cilantro
  • avocado/guacamole
Directions:
  • Preheat a pan over medium-high heat. 
  • Melt coconut oil in pan.
  • Add onion, peppers and mushrooms. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
  • Add ground chicken and cook until chicken is chicken is browned. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
  • Add salsa/seasonings and stir to combine. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp are nice and pink (~5 minutes). Taste and adjust seasonings if need be.
  • Serve over cauliflower rice (if Paleo), regular rice or (as in our case) roasted sweet potatoes/beets. Garnish with lime juice, cilantro and possible avocado/guacamole.
  • Enjoy!
This was quick and oh so tasty! I would highly recommend serving this over the roasted sweet potatoes/beets, for the beets add a wonderful earthiness to the dish. 

Sweet, spicy, earthy and savory... everything you need for the perfect bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment