Thursday, October 18, 2012

Curry in a Hurry!

Over the course of my recipe hoarding career, I've discovered that one of my favorite cuisines to emulate is Asian. I absolutely LOVE a good nutty/coconut curry! Simple, fast and tasty! If ever I'm having one of those days where I have a bunch of random veggies, some ground meat and am in no mood for to make anything elaborate, chances are, I'm making some sort of quick Asian curry.

With all of the above being said, today is one of those days... Had an intense Crossfit Bootcamp class this morning, shopped til I dopped (for both clothes and groceries), and am now famished! Enter:

Indonesian Ground Pork with Green Beans and Crushed Almonds



Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, divided
  • 1 lb ground pastured-pork
  • 3 tbsp coconut aminos/wheat free soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds
  • 1 can coconut milk (full fat is best)
  • 2 8oz pkgs sliced mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 5-6 cloves garlic, minced (~2 tbsp)
  • 2 tsp chile-garlic sauce
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 4 tbsp crushed dry-roasted almonds
  • lime
  • cilantro
Method:
  • Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
  • Add ground pork, and cook until mostly browned.
  • Add mushrooms; stir fry until softened.
  • Add green beans; stir-fry 4 minutes or until beginning to brown.
  • Add coconut milk, almond butter, garlic, chile-garlic sauce, ground cloves, 6 tbsp. coconut aminos/wheat free soy sauce; let simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until the green beans are tender.
  • Serve over cauli-rice, kelp noodles or regular rice.
  • Garnish with crushed almonds, freshly squeezed lime juice and cilantro.
The recipe was originally inspired by a dish I used to make all the time, when Justin was vegetarian (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/indonesian-tempeh-with-green-beans-and-crushed-peanuts/).
All I did was sub in meat for the tempeh, substitute mushrooms for the water chestnuts and use coconut aminos for the soy sauce. Truth be told, I like my meat version a little better... but then again, I have a serious addiction to all things pork...

Anyhoo, this amazing curry has a smooth creamy, yet spicy, taste. The almond butter and coconut milk add some richness, while the ground gloves add that 'je ne sais quoi'. Throw in some citrusy brightness from the lime and HELLO Asian sensation for your tastebuds!

Craving some curry in a hurry? I suggest you give this baby a try!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely dish. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday: Curries. I have just signed up to follow you via Google Reader. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very much for following Carole's Chatter.

    ReplyDelete