Sunday, October 28, 2012

Jamaican Me Crazy Plate

It's a dreary Sunday afternoon here in Rochester. After an eventful morning helping my Mom move all of my Grandmother's furniture, Justin and I are attempting to relax and catch up on some quality horror flicks. (I have a serious addiction to the Horror genre; though I particularly fancy the old school cult classics and foreign varieties. The Italians and Asians are the BEST at doing the whole visually intense, creepy stuff!)

Anyways, our slothfulness creates an intense craving for some sloppy comfort food. Generally, that means a 'Garbage Plate' (or some form of it) is in our future. Thinking of that oh so delicious combo of hot dog/hamburger and meat sauce over fries and mac salad makes my mouth water! Alas, I have not had a true plate in quite some time... I can get close, but being Paleo means cutting the mac salad and fries. The easiest way for Justin and I to get this magical feast is make it ourselves and Paleo-fy it. Enter the:

Jamaican Curry Garbage Plate

Ingredients:
  • 4 hot dogs, cut into rings
  • leftover Jamaican Beef Curry
  • spaghetti squash, roasted and 'shredded'
  • 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • lime
  • cilantro
  • coconut oil
  • salt/pepper, to taste
  • hot sauce, to taste
  • dill relish (optional, I know it seems weird on this dish... but it works!)
Method:

  • Heat a little more coconut oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add the hot dog rings and cook until they brown. Set aside. Add the leftover curry to the same pot and let it heat up. Add the browned hot dogs, reduce the heat and keep warm. 
  • Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a large skillet, over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute, being careful not to let it burn. Add the kale and stir, until the leaves wilt. Add the apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper, and let cook for another few minutes, until the kale is tender.
  • While waiting, pop the pre-roasted and shredded spaghetti squash in the microwave and heat until warm.
  • To assemble: divy the squash up the halves of 2 plates. Divy the kale up on the other halves of the plates. 

  • Pour the curry/hot dog mix over the squash and kale. 

  • Garnish with diced onion, hot sauce, lime juice and cilantro.
Now I know I'm taking some major creative liberties by calling this a 'Garbage Plate,' but it is a plate! It's my plate and it's delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment