Sunday, November 11, 2012

I heart Sauerkraut!

This Sunday is all about getting in touch with old school homemaking skills... Going back to the recipes that my grandmother might make. Today, I'm testing my fermenting skills. I'm making a batch of Sauerkraut!


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1-2 tbsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • spices (I used a mix of garlic powder, chili powder and fennel)
  • filtered water, if needed
Method:
  • Place cabbage into a large bowl and sprinkle the salt over it. 
  • Now comes the fun part! Using your hands, squeeze the cabbage until water begins to release from the leaves. (This'll take a bit of work)
  • Add the pepper and any seasonings you wish.
  • Fill a 32 oz mason jar, packing the mis down so that water releases and raises above the line of cabbage.
  • Cover loosely with the lid and leave in a cool, dark place to ferment for 2-4 weeks. Test the sauerkraut every few days for your desired doneness. (If you see any scum floating on the surface, use a clean spoon to remove it. Also, you'll want to keep the solids below the liquid during this process. Add filtered water to the mix if the water gets too low.)
  • Once the sauerkraut has reached a doneness to your liking, tighten the lid and store in the fridge,  It will last for several months with no further fermentation.
So folks, mark this as day 1! I've started my fermenting 'kraut and am anxiously hoping that it turns out well. From the research I've done, my kitchen will soon start to reek like someone passed gas... but I'm ok with that! (Especially if it means that I'm getting something tasty out of it!)  I will repost here in a couple of weeks to let you all know how my fermented goodness turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment