Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday Mexican

Today marks the beginning of a new adventure for me. I have officially finished the first day of my new job! (I still work for the University of Rochester, but in a new department and with different responsibilities.) Post new job stress/excitement, I decided that I was in the mood for some Kombucha... and something with a Mexican flare.

Mexi-Beef and Peas with Pepitas


Ingredients:
  • coconut oil, if needed
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 pkg sliced mushrooms
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pkg frozen peas, thawed
  • 1 15.5 oz jar salsa (I use Wegman's organic hot)
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 tbsp mexican seasoning (you could use a good taco seasoning mix)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
  • 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • salt/pepper, to taste
  • lime
  • cilantro
  • pepitas, for garnish
Method:
  • Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat
  • Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Set aside.
  • Save some of the fat from the browned beef, or use a little bit of coconut oil. Add the onion, green peppers and onions. Saute until softened, ~5-7 minutes.
  • Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
  • Add the peas, browned meat, salsa, tomatoes and seasonings, cook until the peas are tender and everything is warmed. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if need be.
  • Serve in bowls, topped with a spritz of lime juice, cilantro and pepitas.
My pepitas were leftover from me roasting two wee pumpkins to make pie. They make a fantastic little crunchy garnish to a spicy dish. The cocoa powder adds a nice bitterness and deepens the flavor profile. Oh how I love this fast little meal! It's great by itself or served over rice, roasted root veggies or whatever you wish. Add some kombucha tea and you've got yourself a fiesta!


No comments:

Post a Comment