Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sauerkraut Update!

A few weeks ago I decided to try my hand at some good ol' fermented foodstuffs and started a batch of sauerkraut. I've been waiting with much anticipation for the time when it would be ready. After the initial day, I opened the jars twice a week to test out the sourness, check for any fuzzy bits and add any necessary water to keep the kraut submerged. I'll admit, the first time I opened the jars was a bit... interesting. I don't think I was quite ready for the funk that spewed out... but it did let me know that my first batch was on the right track. Onwardly I persevered on my fermenting endeavor until this moment when I am ready to present to you:

Sauerkraut 1.0 



I made two jars of this recipe. One in my little squatty pint sized jar and one in a standard taller jar. (I found that  the squatty one fermented a little faster than the tall one. Not quite sure why... but I'm guessing that it had something to do with it being a little more hidden from the light in my kitchen.) Anyhoo, the flavor of this 'kraut is pretty spot on compared to the stuff I've bought from Wegman's. I will say that cumin and fennel from my spice mix definitely come through. They don't overpower the natural sourness, but rather add to it. All in all... this is a success!

This makes me want to go on a fermenting spree! My next venture is either going to be Kombucha tea or kimchi. Stay tuned for the next ferm-adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment