Monday, January 7, 2013

Best Breakfast Ever!

I'm on day seven of my detox and things are still going well. (I guess I thought that it would be harder to kick sugar to the curb. The only tricky part of this new diet is attempting to dine out.) Between the whole gluten/dairy/sugar free restraints, my options are somewhat limited. Like, when Justin and I went  to a Thai restaurant with his family this past weekend. I ended up having to stick with a more basic coconut curry, order steamed veggies on the side and not eat the rice. While the food tasted pretty good, I kept thinking that I could totally make it better... It was then that I realized that I've become spoiled by my own cooking. Being forced to create meals to satisfy a dietary restriction has somehow transformed me into a person with some pretty decent culinary chops.

Whilst figuring out those "culinary chops," I've also come to the realization that one of my favorite meals is breakfast... and that consists mostly of eggs.  Omelets! Frittatas! Over easy! The options for the morning egg are endless. Well... I think I found THE best egg dish for me:

Bacon & Egg Cups

Ingredients:
  • fat of choice (coconut oil/lard/butter work well)
  • eggs
  • bacon strips
  • sal/pepper, to taste
  • seasonings (I used a Cajun spice blend)
  • cilantro
Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  • Rub some of the melted fat of choice onto the bottom and sides small ramekin.
  • Wrap a slice of bacon around the inside edge of the ramekin to form a loop.
  • Carefully crack an egg into the center of the bacon-lined ramekin.
  • Top with salt/pepper, seasonings and cilantro.
  • Repeat the above steps with as many eggs/bacon strips as you desire.
  • Place the ramekins on a rimmed baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the white is set and the eggs have reached your desired doneness.
  • Use a knife or a spoon to gently lift the bacon/egg cup out of the ramekin and enjoy!
  • You can also store this in the fridge and save for later. Just pop it in the microwave or oven to reheat. 
I found this recipe from the website Katie Did. I've seen some of Katie's posts on other sites and recently started perusing her personal blog for more inspiration. When I saw these little beauties, I just knew that I had to try them. I love bacon and eggs more than I could possibly say! I would eat them every day of the week if I could. The only problem comes when I have to run out of the house to go to work and don't allow for enough time to cook (I like to sleep 'til the last minute). This recipe solves that problem!

Taste-wise? These are A-MAZING! I can't wait to take my little bacon and egg cups to work tomorrow and make everyone jealous!

No comments:

Post a Comment